Sunday, August 31, 2008

immanuel (God with us)

In church today the pastor, David Smith, pointed out something to me that I have never seen before. It amazes me that I have read this passage so many times yet missed this truth.

He was preaching from Exodus 3. Moses was reluctant to fulfill God’s call to be used in the deliverance of Israel. God said to him, “But I will be with you, and this shall be the sign for you, that I have sent you: when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain” (3:12, ESV).

The assurance and the sign that God promised Moses was to come once Moses did what God had commanded Him. The order, at least in this instance, was not: call, assurance/confidence, obedience, then fulfillment. Rather, it was: call, obedience, fulfillment, then assurance.

Not what I would expect.

That fascinates me.

No comments: