Saturday, August 30, 2008

Why I write

I like writing. I am not sure if I write well or not, but it is something that I enjoy doing. It usually helps me clear my mind and put my thoughts in order.

I also like reflecting on things. Sometimes this gets me into trouble as I can over-think or over-analyze things. Most of the time, however, I think I grow as a person when I consider life.

I also like to express my opinion. I tend to think that I am right about pretty much everything. On the one side, I think this is good. It would be odd to think I was wrong about most or even some things I believed. I should seek to be right. On the other hand, I know I cannot always be right and I need to be certain that there is not a misplaced confidence inhibiting me from learning from others.

Lastly, I am trying to live by the conviction that Christ is the center of all things. In this I fail miserably. But there is grace.

I write all of this by way of introduction. Several friends and family have encouraged me to write more. I have ignored their encouragements for a while under the belief that there is not anything that I could write that has not been better written about elsewhere. However, I am now recognizing that what I write could be more accessible to my friends and family than some of the other resources that I think are more helpful than anything I may put down here. So, I’ll write.

St. Augustine’s conversion was preceded by years of struggle and searching. The world’s philosophies could not bring him to faith. One day, while in a garden, he picked up the word of God, read it, and placed his faith in Christ. He went on to become, arguably, the most influential theologian since the apostles. It was the power of the Word that brought him to faith. What took him to the Word? He wrote in Book Eight of the Confessions, “And suddenly I heard a voice from some nearby house, a boy’s voice or a girl’s voice, I do not know: but it was a sort of sing-song, repeated again and again, ‘Take and read, take and read’” (F. J. Sheed's translation).

If this blog becomes anything to anyone I hope that it is like the words heard in the garden that day. Though they come across as the sing-song ramblings of a child may they point to the Word, and thus, point you to Christ. Take and read, take and read.

1 comment:

Andrew Paul said...

Bro,

So stoked your writing.

I look forward to keeping up with you and gaining more knowledge from discussions here.

Your the man.
Andrew