Wednesday, October 29, 2008

redeem the time...


"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil."

These words from Ephesians 5:15-16 have been on my mind since about mid-morning. They came to my memory as I tried to deal with the sadness I felt as a result of reading about my friend Andrew's past weekend.

It is a reminder to me that I must not waste my life. The world is broken. The Kingdom of God will fix it. The Gospel must go forward so that we might hasten "the coming of the day of the Lord" (2 Peter 3:11-13).

There is a coming day when young people will explore the created order in joy and excitement without the threat of harm. There is a coming day when young men will race forward to the waterfall at the end of the canyon and dive into its waters without the risk of not coming up again. There is a coming day when men will not scream in terror for fear that they may have lost a brother.

There will be no more wailing.

No more crying out to God in despair.

No more fear of death.

No more pain.

No more sorrow.

We are told that the day will come soon. If often feels as though it cannot come soon enough. Yet we know the Lord tarries in order that the Gospel may go forth.

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil."

No comments: