Monday, December 29, 2008

sweet dreams (or Why "Planet Earth" Makes Me Love Jesus More)

I had a great Christmas. It was good to be home and spend some time with the family.

One of the gifts that I received was the Planet Earth dvd set. When I watch it I say "dang!" a lot on the inside. Occasionally I say it out loud, but I try to keep it under control so as to not be obnoxious to those around me.

Last night I had a sweet dream. I was with a bunch of friends, like hundreds, if I really even have that many (facebook says I have close to that). In my dream we were hanging out and having a good time... in the scenes from Planet Earth... which are actually scenes of Earth. We were just chilling on mountaintops, in the clouds, on really big lakes and glaciers (I've been practicing saying "glaciers" with a British accent), and in fields where there are a bunch of crazy looking animals. It was one of my best dreams ever.

I'm pretty sure I know why I had this dream. I think it has something to do with the fact that when I watch Planet Earth I get really excited about the New Creation. Everything that we see is longing for the day when it will be set free from its current bondage to decay and futility (Romans 8:19-22). Once creation is set free and born again we will have all of eternity to enjoy this world which we now inhabit. And we will enjoy it in a Christlike fashion.

I have written more about the New Creation on this blog (here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here). I kind of get excited thinking about it.

If you want to get excited about glory, then watch Planet Earth. If you don't have it, and you want to come over, I am pretty much always up for watching it.

Though the scenes from the dvds may look otherworldly, they aren't. It's our planet. Not only is it our planet, it is what our planet looks like as a consequence of sin, death, decay, and futility. I can't hardly imagine the thrill that will come when I see it firsthand without those things. I hope I have hundreds of friends around at that moment...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yessssss...planet earth rocks.

Unknown said...

It's funny how many Christians are trumpeting Planet Earth these days. But then again, if anyone should be, it should be Christians! You should meet my RUF pastor. He might preach Planet Earth glory more than you do. He used to host planet earth parties at his house and pray afterwards.

Lucas Newton said...

I like the sound of a planet earth party. Maybe I can bring it to Littleton...