Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why some people wear sunglasses inside... (or Psychosomatic Unity Revisited)


“You have captivated my heart with one glance of your eyes”
Song of Solomon 4:9

It happens rarely where I live now, but it really bothers me when I walk by someone and they keep their eyes pointed down towards the sidewalk.

A brother called me out on something this past week and I couldn’t respond until I had turned my eyes away from his.

I’ve learned that if you lean in close to someone and look intently in their eyes it is either very intimate or really awkward.

Anoop sounds great but is having a hard time looking into the camera as he sings his song.

For the last seven weeks I have been conducting interviews for summer staff positions. A lot of people find it difficult to maintain eye contact in that situation.

The human eye. Even if you just look at your own eyes in the mirror you can tell that there is more to a person than the physical body.

They say that the eye is the window to the soul. I believe it. I think that is why they shut the eyelids of the dead.

All these things confirm to me Scripture’s teaching that we are more than material. We are also immaterial. We are a psychosomatic unity. We are not merely material bodies (soma). We are also made up of an inner part (the psyche/spirit). This is not just an abstract idea or an inconsequential biblical concept. It is something that can be seen on the face of everyone you meet.

You can find the story of the whole world in someone’s eye.
Beauty.
Shame.
Hope.
Light.
Intimacy.
Guilt.
Life.
Material and Immaterial.
Mystery.

“When your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light, but when it is bad, your body is full of darkness.” – Luke 11:34

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Agree to agree. What happens though when you try to read someone's eyes? Do you think we will ever have that ability? King Duncan in Macbeth said "There is no art to find the mind's construction in the face." Some eyes are very good at lying.

Lucas Newton said...

I think you are right that some eyes are very good at lying. Even in a lying eye the story of the Fall is captured... beauty and deception.

It is also fascinating to me that a lying eye is further evidence of the unity of a man's body and soul. A lie is the result of the will. However, lies do not touch only a depraved soul, it can also manipulate the body to strengthen its appearance of truth. The spiritual act of lying has bodily consequences. For some, the body reacts against the lie and gives it away. For others, perhaps more practiced, the body acts in accord with the lie to further the deception.