Sunday, November 21, 2010

Marysue Crawley (or Cancer is Ugly, but Her Beauty Beat It)

The steady rain seemed appropriate.

It had taken me driving by her house three times before I could bring myself to park and go in. I knew it would not be easy to see her, but I wanted to speak to her one last time. I had to thank her and I hoped to encourage her. There have been many times in which the Lord has pointed to her faith to build me up in my own.

Kneeling by her bed I grabbed her hand and leaned in towards her. Not knowing if she could hear me, I spoke. After thanking her and sharing with her about the way He had used her in my life, I shared a few words that were meant to encourage her, but they were words that I knew I also needed to hear in that moment:

“He will not leave you alone.

He will not abandon you.

He will come for us.

Trust Him still.

Even in this dark hour may your faith in Him not waver.

He is by your side.

He is the one that has promised to make this right one day. He is the one that, even now, is making all things new.

I love you Marysue and I will see you again before too long.”

As I gave her hand a squeeze I got up off of my knees knowing that this would be the last time I would see this beautiful saint on this side of glory.

The tears came streaming down my face as the porch door closed behind me.

“Jesus wept.”


John Mark McMillan’s song “Death in His Grave”

Death In His Grave (Performance Video) from john mark mcmillan on Vimeo.

No comments: