Monday, November 28, 2011

Friendship, pt. 1 (or 2x1=)

G.K. Chesterton wrote, “It may be conceded to the mathematicians that four is twice two.  But two is not twice one; two is two thousand times one.”

Friendship. 

It’s hard to imagine a life without friends.  It’s also hard to think of friendship in the abstract.  I cannot separate the idea of friendship from real faces, experiences, adventures, and memories.  Life is enjoyed more when it is shared with others and the best of memories are rarely memories of being completely alone.

This post is the first in a series on friendship.  I wish my credentials for writing such a series could include that I am a fantastic friend.  However, I am not.  Yet, the Lord in His sweet kindness, has given me some of the greatest friends.  In preparation for this series I went back through some letters from friends over the years and it nearly brought tears to my eyes as I was overwhelmed once again by their kindness.  What a God-given grace friends are!

Over the past few years, as I have grown in my appreciation of the friends that I have been given, I have often thought more and more about what Scripture has to say about friendships.  I hope that, if nothing else, the following posts about friendship will be a reminder about how great a God we serve.  A God who has made good things good and  delightful things full of delight. 

God is good. Friendship is good.  A good friend points (even if not purposefully on the part of the friend) to a good God from whom good things come.

No comments: