Thursday, October 1, 2009

When I Say “Hang Out” it Sounds Like “Hane Out” (or Why Long Distance Dating, Staff Reunions, Deathbeds, and Parting Friends Remind Me of Glory)

"Here I am and I’ll take my time.
Here I am and I’ll wait in line always.
Always."
Coldplay in "Parachutes"

I think I have recognized another longing that points us towards Christ and His redemption. It is the longing to make the most of the time given with someone. It is the longing to not be separated from those that we care about.

Have you ever been in a situation where you realize you only have a little bit of time left with a person? I think we find ourselves in that situation often. A good friend of mine is going to the far side of the world for a few years. He is here in Littleton for just a couple more days.

I have noticed that there is a strong desire to make certain that I enjoy every moment that I have left with him before he leaves. I do not want any moment to be stressed, forced, or taxing. I want each moment to be meaningful, relaxed, but significant. I even find myself running the risk of ruining the time I do have to hang out with him by worrying about how to maximize it.

The impulse to make the most of every moment is fueled by a recognition that time is short. I can say “carpe diem” but I recognize the power of that phrase, meaning “seize the day,” if I know that I only have a few days left to live.

I can say that I believe we ought to enjoy relationships and the opportunity for fellowship and community, but do I really interact with others like it is a something special? Separation in a relationship is a sad thing. The reason for such separation can relate to geography, busyness of a schedule, changes in affection, or death. If such a separation seems imminent, there can almost be a sense of desperation to find opportunities to enjoy life together before the separation occurs. That is why staff stay up late at the end of summer camp. It is why people will take off from work to see a terminally ill friend or family member. It is why people throw going away parties.

The shortness of time is frustrating. It seems there is never enough time when we want it.

I wish we had more time.

But here is the thing: we will. We were made for eternity.

The dislike I have for separation is because I am made for community and companionship. The dislike I have for a time that is too short is because I am made for a time that does not end.

For now, we live in a fallen world. It is a world in which you never have enough time when you want it. It is a time when we say goodbyes. It is a time where glory is only glimpsed.

But there is a coming age when goodbyes and separation will be no more. Glory will be revealed.

The effects of man’s rebellion will finally be undone. The whole created order will be redeemed and made new. The undoing has already begun, and it continues to be undone by the Gospel.

Christ is redeeming the world and He is doing it through the proclamation of His Kingdom. We must go and we must share the story of His good news.

Redemption changes everything. My friend is going away soon. The time I have to hang out with him is slipping away. But, I have a hope. It is a hope found in Christ (I cannot find any hope outside of Him). And that hope is in the promise that we shall join Him with His saints in a New Creation. It is a New Creation in which time is unending and every moment is meaningful, relaxing, and significant.



“As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.”
Psalm 16:4


“Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.”
Ephesians 5:15-16

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agree. Goodbyes or triumphant moments are never how we want them. I gave up on trying to make them happen a couple of years ago, because even if they do happen, they still don't satisfy; there is always a lingering "something" where we want more beauty or more meaning than we found. When friends are driving away after graduation, when you hug a significant other goodbye, when your team wins the final game: there is always still something else. How did Michael Phelps feel the moment he came down from the podiums with his gold medals realizing that he had what he wanted but there was still a tomorrow? Pretty good, I bet, but I don't imagine these accolades ever completely give us what we are searching for.

I started to believe that we should control what we can control (our giving of love to other people) and let go of what we can't control (the beauty of a moment.)

However, the more passionate we become about the missions God gives us in life, the more these triumphant moments can occur. William Wilburforce, on the day Parliament voted to end the slave trade, received one of these triumphant moments and I imagine it was a small glimpse of glory. I think these moments can occur when we aren't controlling them or looking for them, but are simply seeking good and doing justice. If so, they will find us.