Monday, March 1, 2010

Day to day pours out speech (or Have You Seen and Heard the Frozen Mud?)

It has been cold when I walk to work in the morning. A lot of the time I can catch a ride with one of my coworkers as they pass my place on their way to the office. But that doesn’t always happen.

When I leave my place in the morning I am always sure to walk to the patch of dirt behind my Jeep on my way to the office. Lately, that patch of dirt is actually mud when the temperature is above freezing. In the morning the mud is frozen.

The frozen mud makes the most beautiful crystals and designs. As the water freezes, it expands and pushes the dirt upward. The crystal formations are dotted with holes from stones that cannot keep up with the swelling mud around them.

Not only is the mud beautiful, but it also makes the most satisfying crunch when I step on it. From the moment I step out my door I get excited to step on the mud crystals as I close my eyes and listen to the sound of them under my feet. It’s fantastic.

“There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard.”

No comments: