Sunday, March 7, 2010

St. Patrick's Confession

I have just finished reading Confession by St. Patrick. It is a letter that outlines his life and what the Lord had done in and through him. Below are a few quotes that moved me:

"I am Patrick, a sinner, the most unsophisticated and unworthy among all the faithful of God."

"Because of this I cannot, I will not, be silent. I will tell of the great blessings God has granted to me and the grace he has shown to me in this land of slavery. Because this is the way we should behave toward God - when he has shown us why we were wrong and we have admitted our sins, we should praise him and proclaim his kindness to everyone in the world."

"I know if that [death] were to happen, I would gain my soul along with a new body on that day we will undoubtedly rise again like the sun in the morning - like the son Jesus Christ our redeemer. We will become like children of the living God, brothers and sisters of Jesus, so that by him, through him, and in him, we will be like kings."

"I have thought about writing this letter for a long time, but I kept putting it off until now. I have been afraid that people would laugh at the way I write... I am very ashamed and afraid to show just how awkward my writing is. I am not able to explain things in just a few words like those who can write briefly. My mind and my spirit cannot even work together so that my words say what I really feel inside."

No comments: