Tuesday, December 16, 2008

and from Spurgeon... (or We'll Fly in Glory)


As long as I am putting up quotes from old theologians about glory...

Here is one from Charles Spurgeon, the 19th century British preacher, in his sermon entitled Resurgam:

"That powerless body shall be raised in power. That was a fine idea of Martin Luther, which he borrowed from Anselm, that the saints shall be so strong when they are risen from the dead, that if they chose they could shake the world; they could pull up islands by their roots, or hurl mountains into the air… I think if we do not go the length of the poets, we have every reason to believe that the power of the risen body will be utterly inconceivable. These, however, are but guesses at the truth; this great mystery is yet beyond us. I believe that when I shall enter upon my new body, I shall be able to fly from one spot to another, like a thought, as swiftly as I will; I shall be here and there, swift as the rays of light. From strength to strength, my spirit shall be able to leap onward to obey the behests of God; upborne with wings of ether, it shall flash its way across the shoreless sea, and see the glory of God in all his works, and yet ever behold his face. For the eye shall then be strong enough to pierce through leagues of distance, and the memory shall never fail. The heart shall be able to love to a fiery degree, and the head to comprehend right thoroughly."


Now I do realize that what is said by here is merely a guess. However, glory has to be at least as good as the guess.

Note: if you pronounce the 'right' of 'comprehend right thoroughly' in an area such as Littleton (where I live) it will no longer refer to "that which is not evil" but will become equivalent to making the statement "comprehend very thoroughly." If you don't know what I am talking about, that's fine, just trying saying to a couple of times over and over in a Southern accent while attempting to draw out the 'right.'

No comments: