Sunday, November 20, 2011

Eye See



I am looking at a picture of a lion, and a picture of two elephants, and a wood carving of a zebra face.

Each creature has two eyes. I have two eyes.

Why do so many of God’s creatures have two eyes?

Why not one? Why not four?

If we, as people, are made in the image of God, then I can suppose that having two eyes reflects something about who God is.

And I suppose that the created order is a reflection of the Creator. So what is it about two-eye –edness that reflects something to us about who God is?

And why does the question of why a zebra has two eyes seem childish? Why do we hear these types of questions so rarely? Perhaps we have lost a sense of wonder. I don’t know, maybe there is something else to it, but it is startling to me.

“I saw a Lamb standing, as though it had been slain, with seven horns and with seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.” – from one of the visions of the Apostle John in Revelation chapter 5.

See also:

2 Chronicles 16:9

Psalm 11:4

Jeremiah 16:17

Zechariah 4:10

No comments: